- A New Look for Files.com
- New Integrated Editor for Office Documents
- Announcing Snapshot Share Links
- Akamai Linode integration with Files.com
- Cloudflare integration with Files.com
- Files.com's Response to the Security Incident in Competing Software Product MOVEit
- Removal of CBC cipher suites from the default list
- Announcing Boomi Partner Connector
- FIDO U2F SSH/SFTP Keys Now Supported For SFTP Authentication
- Ensuring Accessibility: How Files.com Meets WCAG Standards
As part of our ongoing commitment to offer the highest degree of security by default, Files.com removed CBC cipher suites from its default cipher list as of April 12, 2023.
Qualys SSL Labs, a leading security research company, said this about CBC ciphers: "Due to the difficulties in implementing CBC cipher suites, and the numerous known exploits against bugs in specific implementations, Qualys SSL Labs began marking all CBC cipher suites as WEAK in May 2019. While there are CBC implementations without known exploits, which are safe to use, there are better options that Qualys would like to encourage admins to adopt."
Although some security standards still consider CBC ciphers secure, we prefer to err on the side of caution.
This change should not affect any modern OS or web browsers. If you have any client that is currently able to use Files.com's secure cipher list, there is a 99.9% chance that that client will continue to work. The only exceptions we are aware of relate to services built into OSs that are well past their support lifetime.
If you have an application that requires the use of CBC ciphers, you can re-enable them as part of our insecure ciphers capability by enabling them. In order to enable this setting, go to Settings > Integrations > Transfer Protocols > HTTPS, FTPS, and SFTP ciphers. For further information, please refer to our documentation about ciphers.
Get Instant Access to Files.com
The button below will take you to our Free Trial signup page. Click on the white "Start My Free Trial" button, then fill out the short form on the next page. Your account will be activated instantly. You can dive in and start yourself or let us help. The choice is yours.Start My Free Trial